Friday 6 November 2009

Artist's Statement

I started bobbin lace making on a residential course in 1992 and immediately became totally immersed in this absorbing art form. During the intervening years I have completed many courses, in all areas of lacemaking, both bobbin and needlelace, taking up designing in 1998, and have more recently started teaching lace. I completed a BA (Hons) Textile Design in 2009 which expanded my knowledge in historical and contemporary design which I am now using in my lace work.

My main areas of interest within lace are the East Midlands bobbin laces, of Buckinghamshire Point Ground Lace and Floral Bedfordshire lace. I have been greatly influenced by the designer Thomas Lester from the 19th century and enjoy the challenges of the flowing, floral Art Nouveau style designs. I feel that the traditional and historical designs teach so much to Lacemakers of today, although the traditions need to develop to produce contemporary designs suitable for modern Lacemakers.

I regularly use historical resources for design work although I am currently developing my own botanical illustration for use in designs, but with sub conscious reference to historical styles. My preferred work is fine and detailed and with hundreds of bobbins in use, often taking many months to complete a piece from the initial design stage. I am also currently experimenting with other materials, scale and dimension for design.

No comments:

Post a Comment